I created this salad to bridge our somewhat awkward transition from summer to fall. Ideally, I would be in full fall mode right now sipping chai tea lattes and hanging a fall foliage wreath on my door (I'm literally the most basic, I know), but instead I'm pulling out my floral dresses and throwing on my Ray Ban sunglasses.
That's why this dish is not quite a salad and not quite a warming bowl to snuggle up with. It's somewhere in between, capturing the best of both worlds. But no matter what season, this has become one of my favorite easy dinners to throw together at a moment's notice since you only need 7 ingredients and the whole thing can be ready in less than 10 minutes.
What's the weather been like where you're living? This salad is a must for any dinner table, whether it's been cooling down or heating up like here.
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
For the Cashew Parmesan (makes a big batch):
- 1 cup roasted & salted cashews (do not use raw)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head kale, stems and ribs removed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1. To make the Cashew Parmesan: add all ingredients to a food processor and whiz until mostly smooth with some small cashew pieces remaining. Store in an air tight container in a cool, dry place for up to a month.
2. Pour olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add kale and cook for about 2 minutes, add black beans and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Remove kale and black beans from heat and stir in dates. Divide between two bowls or plates and top with cashew Parmesan. Serve immediately.
**If you make this recipe let me know! Leave a comment or tag #sprinklesandsaturdays on Instagram. I'd love to see what you come up with!