It's a tale as old as time, the salty and sweet romance a la match made in heaven. It never gets old. It's always delicious. And it's lent itself to some surprising combinations. I remember the first time I saw chocolate covered potato chips near the register at Trader Joe's, the renowned spot for tricking customers into impulse buys they later regret. well, one of those bags for sure made it in my cart that day and was the most satisfying impulse purchase I've ever made.
So this guacamole, which is a bit odd at first glance, is really just an unfamiliar play on the classic favorite combination of salty and sweet. We've got creamy avocado mixed with lots of cilantro and lime, some jalapeño for a kick, then fresh strawberries and pineapple for that burst of sweetness that compliments the saltiness of the avocado base in an extremely addictive, where-did-that-whole-bag-of-tortilla-chips-go, sort of way.
On top of the insanely delicious flavor profile, the vibrant colors in this guac scream summer and make it the most beautiful addition to any BBQ, picnic or party -> oh hey, 4th of July. I'll be making it this weekend with friends at our beach house in Half Moon Bay and am ready for Jack to eat his words. And lots of chips.
- 2 ripe large avocados
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- Juice of 2 large limes
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup strawberries, cut into small chunks
1. Scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork (I like to leave some large chunks behind). Fold in the cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice and salt. Then gently fold in the pineapple and strawberries, leaving some on top of garnish if desired.