Tahini might sound unfamiliar but you probably encounter it more often than you think because it's the ingredient in hummus that makes it so creamy and delicious. It's made with ground sesame seeds and has the consistency of peanut butter. Tahini is rich in potassium, iron, vitamin E, and is one of the best sources of calcium out there. Tahini also has 20% complete protein, making it a higher protein source than most nuts.
In the instructions I say to massage the kale. It might seem a bit odd to massage your food, but I promise, it leads to amazing results. The citrus in the orange and a quick five minute rub down breaks down the tough cellulose structure and transforms the kale from being large and rigid to small and silky smooth. So don't be shy, get in there! It should feel similar to kneading bread.
Once you throw in the shaved brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, pomegranate seeds, and walnuts, you've got yourself an antioxidant power house that's filling but light and easy to throw together.
- 3 kale leafs (spines removed)
- 1 cup of shaved brussels sprouts
- 1 large sweet potato
- Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash the sweet potato and cut into cubes - about an inch thick. Place on a baking tray and cover in olive oil, paprika, salt, and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, turning halfway through. Note: I always double or triple this part to have leftover sweet potatoes.
- Place kale in a large mixing bowl along with the shaved brussels sprouts. Note: Trader Joe's sells pre-shaved brussels sprouts but you can also shave the sprouts with a mandoline, food processor, or knife.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the tahini, orange juice, orange zest, and apple cider vinegar. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour dressing over kale and brussels sprouts and massage for a few minutes. Toss in the roasted sweet potatoes, pomegranate seeds, and walnuts. Serve immediately and enjoy!